Re: Success or failures with Mailman 2.1.4 on woody

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 03:11:37PM -0800, Matt Perry wrote:
> I've heard from some people that Mailman 2.1.4 has problems working
> correctly on Debian woody.  Is there anyone here that is running Mailman
> 2.1.4 installed from the tarball and is or was having problems with it?
> I'm also interesting in hearing if you're using it and it's working fine.

I did Mailman 2.1.4 from a backport.  It was not that hard.

dpkg -l mailman:
mailman  2.1.4-0.backports.org.1  Powerful, web-based mailing list manager

Here is my source:
deb http://www.backports.org/debian stable mailman

I actually took some notes on the upgrade but they might
be incomplete.  Here are my notes......:

add this to sources.list
deb http://www.backports.org/debian stable mailman

do these two commands for backup of current configurations:
tar -cvf usrlibmail.tar /usr/lib/mailman
tar -cvf varlibmail.tar /var/lib/mailman

For my big lists....make sure save html pages!!!
(I do some custom html stuff)
Use Mozilla and open all configs in different tabs to be sure.

Backup the listmembers for all the lists to be double sure:
/var/lib/mailman/bin/list_members list > listmembers

apt-get --purge mailman

mv /etc/mailman /etc/mailman.old
mv /var/lock/mailman /var/lock/mailman.old
mv /var/lib/mailman /var/lib/mailman.old
mv /var/log/mailman /var/log/mailman.old
mv /usr/share/doc/mailman /usr/share/doc/mailman.old

apt-get update
apt-get install mailman

To create the list, run "newlist mailman" and follow the instructions on-screen.
Note that you also need
to start mailman after that, using /etc/init.d/mailman start.

A list mailman MUST be created first and then to /etc/init.d/mailman start.

Run: newlist mailman
and follow directions.
You don't have to change anything with your exim.conf if Mailman
was already running previously.
If not, then go to exim.org for excellent documentation.

Then change the file /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py

DEFAULT_URL       = 'http://domain.com/cgi-bin/mailman/'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'domain.com'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'domain.com'

Good Luck!