Re: ext2/ext3/vfat on laptop vs. desktop (fwd)

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:20:58AM +0100, StefanG??ling-Reisemann wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> On the debian-laptop list nobody answered my question, so I am trying on
> this list.
>
> Thanks and greetings, Stefan (debian @ goessling . de)
>
> Dear people,
>
> another not-quite-laptop-related-but-only-happens-here story:
>
> After I switched to ext3 on my installation partition (Acer TM 803, Debian
> stable/testing, based on Knoppix 3.2, heavily upgraded, kernel 2.4.24) I
> noticed a severe performance loss. Actually, the system suddenly felt
> quite sluggish (especially during start-up). I did some hdparm -t runs and
> discoverd that the transfer rate had dropped to around 12.9 MB/s from
> around 20 MB/s. That is a 30 % drop! I cross-checked with my desktop
> installation (basically the same setup, but of course very different
> hardware) and I only noticed (if at all) a drop in transfer rate of about
> 1 or 2 percent between ext3 and ext2. Also, the vfat partition on the
> laptop delivers the good old 20 MB/s as did the ext2 partition. On the
> desktop there is also only a small difference between vfat and ext3.
>
> Any ideas why this happened? And yes, I have enabled DMA and manually
> switched to UDMA 5 on all concerned drives.
> Should I go back to ext2?

Try running top in parallel to doing some heavy disk activity but
something that is supposed to be low on memory (try moving a bunch of
files around) and check the cpu load (or anything else that can show
you cpu load).

Running the journal takes some processing power and if you laptop
doesn't have much it could cause a bottleneck.