Re: Next stable release: 13 CD's

On March 16, 2004 13:04, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 11:16:25PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

> | Further more, why am I penalized with a higher postage rate for not
> | spamming?
>
> I don't understand this statement.

Bulk mail is typically charged at a lower rate than what is termed
"first class" mail, which is what most people think of as "mail". I
suspect the reason for the lower cost is the fact that sorting isn't an
issue. By the same token, if you place a note on your post box that you
do not wish to receive junk mail (unaddressed mail) then I believe the
postal carriers are supposed to honour that request. However, if the
business has placed your address on the mail (and paid a higher rate,
even if not the full first class rate) then the postal service is
obliged to deliver it.

At least that's how it's supposed to work in Canada...
--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

There is no art which one government sooner learns of another
than that of draining money from the pockets of the people.
-Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations