Re: Next stable release: 13 CD's

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:34:37PM -0500, David P James wrote:
> On March 16, 2004 13:04, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 11:16:25PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
>

> > | Further more, why am I penalized with a higher postage rate for not
> > | spamming?
> >
> > I don't understand this statement.
> >

> Bulk mail is typically charged at a lower rate than what is termed
> "first class" mail, which is what most people think of as "mail". I
> suspect the reason for the lower cost is the fact that sorting isn't an
> issue. By the same token, if you place a note on your post box that you
> do not wish to receive junk mail (unaddressed mail) then I believe the
> postal carriers are supposed to honour that request. However, if the
> business has placed your address on the mail (and paid a higher rate,
> even if not the full first class rate) then the postal service is
> obliged to deliver it.
>
> At least that's how it's supposed to work in Canada...

I live in a house which has been converted into a bunch of flats - 10
flats sharing 1 letterbox. This makes it a target for leaflet
spammers. Floods of leaflets get stuffed through the letterbox and
legitimate mail gets lost because it has sixty leaflets on top of it
and nobody realises it's there; also, when the spam gets thrown out
(which takes ages to happen, unless I get fed up enough to do it
myself) legitimate mail gets picked up and thrown out with it. So I
stuck a notice on the letterbox:

"If you are about to post a whole bunch of leaflets through this door
- STOP! The skip is round the corner to the left. Please save me the
trouble."

Made not the slightest difference...

--
Pigeon