Re: Lost Login after running e2fsck how to repair

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 07:55:29PM +0100, Jonathan Schmitt wrote:
> Hallo,
> >Is there any way to reinstall the root user??
> well basically, that's the problem, lfs users have to deal with during
> install. I think (but You might get more acurate descriptions from
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ )
> their way is to create the passwd file at first, than chroot into the system
> and do a "passwd" for the root user. Another way to lock Yourself out would

Also check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file (it lists how passwd auth is
done) I'm not sure what would happen if it didn't exist--maybe what you
describe.

Are you using PAM?  If so, also check out your /etc/pam.d/ files or
/etc/pam.conf

> be the "nologin" file, but I think, at least woody clears this file at every
> system start. If You can chroot into that file, try a "su" into a normal
> user. If that's working, You know Your users are still there. You could also
> try to add a new user and look, whether he can log on.
>    js
> --
> A pain in the ass of major dimensions.
> 		-- C.A. Desoer, on the solution of non-linear circuits

Good luck.

--

Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.