> >Incoming from VEGH Karoly:
> >
> >>s. keeling wrote:
> >>
> >>>Incoming from VEGH Karoly:
> >>>
> >>>>pls CC: me, I'm currently offlist.
> >>>
> >>>Check the archives then.
> >>
> >>wow, friendly.
> >
> >?!?

[snip rant]

Augh!  Here I am wasting time doing someone else's research FOR FREE,
and you're making me feel guilty for doing it!

Fine.  Here's your easy answer: don't use ps; use top, and in top type
"u", then type in the user name.  Happy now?  Had he been subscribed
to the list, he might have seen my mention of this about a week ago.

  - I resent being told to provide answers to people who can't be
    bothered to expend an equivalent level of effort.  And it is
    effort, I agree, to subscribe to debian-user.  That's why I
    offered him the option of checking the archives instead.

  - From his first post, nothing I saw said anything about having even
    looked at the man page.  As I could tell from my look that it
    ought to be pretty straight forward, I told him the answer was
    there.

  - I don't have any blah-blah-blah-blah usernames on my system by
    which I might test any solutions I proposed.  Should I create some
    to ensure my advice was correct?  fsck that!  He's the only one in
    a position to verify correctness.

  - ps can spit things out in any way you damned well want.  Numeric
    user ID's are _obviously_ the way to go (as the usernames are
    similar / ambiguous), if not in a "ps -foo" then in a "ps foo | grep $uid"

  - Instead of replying that he still didn't get it, he came back with
    a, "hey man, wtf?!?"  Oh yes, I'm certainly going to be far more
    motivated to waste my time to solve his problem after that!

- -