Lost Login after running e2fsck how to repair

I'm running SID on my systems & I was upgrading one of the drives to the newest version so I did a dist-upgrade. I did not realize it but I had the other SID system mounted to the file tree. It totally fracked the second drives file tree ( I guess). I ran e2fsck and found that it was detecting a lot of files in /lost-found so I looked at each of them. Most were html files from a recent install of Java2 1.5-doc. so no great loss. However there were several Python files, a perl file & one that seemed to be a config of some kind, and also a directory also full of html files. I deleted them all & ran e2fsck again & obtained a clean file system. The issue now is; I can NOT any longer log in to the repaired system, after running e2fsck. All logins fail. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated. I want to preserve the file tree if possible, login & clean up the mess, then do a dist-upgrade on the damaged system. I know of no way to repair a root login that is damaged in Debian, and no I did not have it backed up.
Thanks!
John