Re: Lost Login after running e2fsck how to repair

Jonathan Schmitt wrote:

Hallo
I can NOT any longer log in to the repaired system, after running e2fsck. All logins fail.

You should look into the /etc directory and check whether or not /etc/passwd and /etc/passwd- (in case You used shadow Passwords) are present. To gain access at first, You could boot som cd distro (Knoppix for example) and mount Your damaged root partition somwhere into the filetree.
  js
Thanks. I already did that & both are present and seem to be unchanged since Mar 4 which was the last day that I did some upgrades. Also I can chroot to that system from this one so getting to the file system is not the issue. I simply do not see why I can not login. Is there any way to reinstall the root user?? I have been at this a long time & I don't know of a way, other that reinstalling the entire system.
john