Re: Network setup problems

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:40:06AM -0500, Ken Januski wrote:
>  Pigeon,
>
> Thanks again for all your work on this. I'm still not successful but
> will keep investigating it later today when I get back from work. As
> noted below all attempts to change irq of modem with setserial ended up
> with a hung pc. I want to research modprobe a bit before trying it.
>
> The only other thing I can think of is that I may have done something in
> previous configuration that has caused this problem. But I have no idea
> what it might be. I do know that it took some work to get a driver for
> the 3c509c and that I had to load that module using commands I wasn't
> all that familiar with.

Really? It's a pretty standard sort of card. Didn't a straightforward
"modprobe 3c59x" work?

>There is a message on bootup about  modules.dep
> being older than modules.conf or something similar.  I don't know if
> this could be related in any way but I'm starting to grasp at straws.

I don't think so, it simply means that you've been editing
/etc/modules.conf by hand or something similar, which is "naughty". I
think running "depmod" should make this go away.

> Ken
>

> Pigeon wrote:
>
> >OK, try something like this...
> >
> >setserial -v /dev/ttyS0 uart 16550A port 0xcff0 irq 4
> >
> >(or irq 5, which also seems to be unused, and would help avoid needing
> >to mess with the BIOS setup since your "normal" serial ports won't be
> >after it.)
> >
> Using above lines with irq of either 4 or 5 seemed to work until I typed
> "pon". Then all keyboard response ended. I found that nothing other than
> a total power off brought pc back. This may be a clue to someone but not
> to me I'm afraid.

Probably means it hasn't actually succeeded in changing the IRQ the
modem was using, it just thinks it has. I wouldn't have expected it to
kill the keyboard completely though... can't you even switch VTs or do
Ctrl-Alt-Del?

There's a Red Hat package for tweaking settings of this modem
available from

  ftp://ftp.usr.com/usr/dl15/LNUX_3ComMdm-1.0-1.i386.rpm

It looks as if converting this to a deb with alien and installing it
won't work, as it expects RedHatisms like /etc/rc.d/init.d to exist.
But you could pull it apart and run the binary 3ComMdm directly, and
see if that's any good. (There's no source code, grrr...)

> >If tweaking the modem's IRQ doesn't work, it might be possible to
> >tweak the ethernet card's IRQ, by loading the module with something like
> >
> >modprobe 3c59x compaq_irq=5
> >
> >I'm not too sure about this, though; the kernel docs explain the
> >"compaq" bit as being a workaround for a Compaq bios problem, but
> >don't say what that problem is. I'm not sure if this would actually
> >change the IRQ on other machines. My guess is it probably would, but
> >I'm not sure. (Or do you have a Compaq?)
> >
> This seems like the best remaining option but I want to research the
> compaq_irq parameter first. The Pc is a Dell so I'm not sure what impact
> that would have.

I'd go for trial and error here...

--
Pigeon