Re: Network setup problems

 Pigeon,

Thanks again for all your work on this. I'm still not successful but will keep investigating it later today when I get back from work. As noted below all attempts to change irq of modem with setserial ended up with a hung pc. I want to research modprobe a bit before trying it.

The only other thing I can think of is that I may have done something in previous configuration that has caused this problem. But I have no idea what it might be. I do know that it took some work to get a driver for the 3c509c and that I had to load that module using commands I wasn't all that familiar with. There is a message on bootup about modules.dep being older than modules.conf or something similar. I don't know if this could be related in any way but I'm starting to grasp at straws.

Ken

Pigeon wrote:

OK, try something like this...

setserial -v /dev/ttyS0 uart 16550A port 0xcff0 irq 4

(or irq 5, which also seems to be unused, and would help avoid needing
to mess with the BIOS setup since your "normal" serial ports won't be
after it.)

Using above lines with irq of either 4 or 5 seemed to work until I typed "pon". Then all keyboard response ended. I found that nothing other than a total power off brought pc back. This may be a clue to someone but not to me I'm afraid.

I think it's the lack of the "port 0xcff0" which is causing the
"input/output error"; it'll be looking at the standard port, 0x3f8.

What you set in serial.conf should follow what the BIOS setup has been
configured to; ie. you configure the BIOS setup, and then change
serial.conf to correspond with it (if the kernel hasn't figured it out
automatically).

And, your modem really is on ttyS0 (COM1)? Do you have a serial mouse?

Not sure what type. It's a Logitech PS2 with /dev/mouse pointing to /dev/psaux.

OK, that's a PS/2 mouse, not a serial mouse. I'm just trying to figure
out what's using your serial ports. Looks like nothing is, since it's
a PS/2 mouse and an internal modem. So it's safe to disable your
serial ports completely in the BIOS setup.

Well, it may not be necessary since I've now realised that your modem
is an internal modem with a genuine UART, not an external one. Because
it's not part of the motherboard, it won't have any settings in the
BIOS. But since it seems that you're not using them, it wouldn't hurt
to turn off your motherboard's serial ports in the BIOS, to make sure
they're not after any IRQs.

I changed setting for serial to disabled but still hung up pc when I then used setserial with irq of 4.

If tweaking the modem's IRQ doesn't work, it might be possible to
tweak the ethernet card's IRQ, by loading the module with something like

modprobe 3c59x compaq_irq=5

I'm not too sure about this, though; the kernel docs explain the
"compaq" bit as being a workaround for a Compaq bios problem, but
don't say what that problem is. I'm not sure if this would actually
change the IRQ on other machines. My guess is it probably would, but
I'm not sure. (Or do you have a Compaq?)

This seems like the best remaining option but I want to research the compaq_irq parameter first. The Pc is a Dell so I'm not sure what impact that would have.

Again thanks for all your advice on this.