Re: Network setup problems (formerly Can anyone give me a clue)

Ken Januski wrote:
Hi,

I'm starting this thread over from one that used to be called "Can anyone give me a clue..." . Sorry for anyone that was trying to help me with that thread. I'm thankful for your help but feel I need to rephrase the problem.

First of all I have a crossover cable connecting my Debian machine and a Windows XP machine. I bought it years ago as an experiment because I didn't know if I'd ever really need a network and didn't want to invest in anything more. But as far as I know I should be able to get a basic network with this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I can ping the Debian box from the windows box and can telnet in successfully. But any attempts to ping the Windows box, either with hostname or IP fail. Basically ping just sits there and does nothing. When I end it I find a 100% packet loss.

Could it be that your WinXP firewall is turned on and blocking the Debian machine?

--
Diana - e-mail address is munged. Replies to NG please
Registered Linux user 290473