Re: Yet another mouse problem

Joe Carey wrote:

Hello,

I'm new to Debian, but I've fooled around with Red Hat & SuSE. I'm pissed at RH for abandoning us low maintence users. I downloaded Woody the other day and installed on a clean hard disk. The install went okay, but I'm having trouble getting X to recognize my mouse, which is a 3 button Logitech wheel mouse with a USB to PS/2 adapter on it. In the past the Distros have taken care of this for me (and I took it for granted).

I checked XF86Config-4 and the log files. There are no reported errors in the log. I'm using /dev/psaux as the device, and if I cat the device file, when I move the mouse I see interesting junk. I tried using /dev/input/mice, but XFree86 gave an error for that. With some device protocols, such as MicroSoft, the cursor will jump around the top of the screen once X starts..

Depends on if you're using gpm (the console mouse driver) in addition to the X mouse driver. You can search the Debian archives for the past couple of months and probably find 5 or 6 threads that discuss this issue, like these:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/debian-user-200402/msg04761.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200312/msg06536.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/debian-user-200403/msg00685.html

(Be aware that apparently "raw" is the wrong repeat type for gpm; it should be "ms3"
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/debian-user-200403/msg00887.html

/dev/psaux is almost certainly the correct device (IF you're not use gpm), since you get stuff when you cat the device and move the mouse.

The device works fine under MS, and I get similar results with other 3-button PS-2 mice.

Does Debian have any sort of tool that can probe the hardware and tell me what the XF86Config for this device should look like? I've spent several hours messing around with it and checking the web, and I feel I'm getting nowhere.

Some people have mentioned Sarge installs better than Woody. Since I've got very little invested to now, how would I go about installing Sarge?

joe

Upgrading's not likely to fix this particular problem. Still . . .
Assuming you have network access, edit /etc/apt/sources.list so that you're pointing to testing (personally, unless this is a server that needs rock-hard stability, I'd go with unstable), like so (only for Sarge, you'd change the "unstable"s to "testing"s):

westk[@westk03]:/home/westk> cat /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib