Re: Ann: gpm-X guide

[Derrick 'dman' Hudson]
> http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/config_docs/gpm-X/

One comment.  Using repeat_type=raw is the *wrong* thing to do.  Yes,
it works in some cases, but not all cases.  The officially recommended
solution: tell gpm to export repeat_type=ms3, and tell X to use device
type 'IntelliMouse', regardless of your actual mouse type.  The bonus
is, not only does it always work, but it's simpler: the only variable
you have to figure out is the gpm name for your mouse protocol; the
XFree86 protocol name never changes, it's always IntelliMouse.

I can't explain it any better than the GPM maintainer, Zephaniah Hull,
already did.  See http://bugs.debian.org/233933 for the context:

   I have said it MANY times, and I will say it again.

   There is exactly ONE protocol which it is valid to talk to gpm over
   /dev/gpmdata with, and that protocol is NOT PS/2.

   No matter how much people scream and yell about how it works fine,
   this is a perfect example of why trying to use a bi-directional
   protocol over a fifo DOES NOT WORK.

   The protocol you need to use is the one gpm calls ms3, X calls it
   IntelliMouse, which is the serial version of the IMPS/2 protocol,
   however it is NOT bi-directional, it has 3 buttons, a wheel, and it
   is safe to use over the fifo.
   </rant>

Peter