Re: Kernel image

Hello Pedro!

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 11:49:47PM +0000, Pedro M. wrote:
> Florian Ernst escribió:
> >|fernst@live:~$ apt-cache search kernel-image-2.4- | wc -l
> >|7
> >
> >Not that much, at least in my eyes. YMMV.
> >
> try apt-cache search kernel-image* ;)

Yes, certainly, but that's something entirely different. You said you
only want the latest kernel-image, and exactly these seven packages
provide them for 2.4 while five more packages exist for 2.6.
Your search lists all the versions, and that's a lot for sure.

> >>Yes, but you cannot include a simple command in a tutorial or guide to
> >>do it....
> >
> >Well, determine your 'architecture', meaning -386 / -586tsc / -686 /
> >-k6 / -k7 (possibly SMP) on IA32, you _should_ know better than any
> >script, install appropriate kernel-image, lean back.
>
> We are talking about upgrading from an architecture to the same one, in
> a different kernel version.
>
> And another thing : the user doesn't have to worry about this things and
> look for the porperly package (transparent installation).

This exists already for kernel patchlevels, just as mentioned above.

You want to extend this to minor and major kernel versions, which I
think is risky and a misfeature.

> >If the user doesn't know this 'architecture', -386 (one size fits all)
> >ought to be enough, (s)he probably won't _notice_ any speed
> >differences at all.
>
> Like said, in upgrading (not in installing in a virgin disk), the
> program would use the same architecture than the previous version installed.

See above.

> >It looks like you are suggesting kernel-image-dwimt (do what I mean
> >to).

Seems like this comment was missing a Dust-Puppy-smiley...

> I don't know this system. I am suggesting ->>>>
> kernel-image-lastversion-samearchitecture  (by default; the user could
> change it, using options).

Yes, I understand, but I simply don't like the concept.

> >As I said, it should be possible / acceptable, but I see a huge
> >simplicity/danger-tradeoff.
>
> The same danger than type it manually, with the advantage of use a easy
> to remember  / reproduce command
>
> If anybody wants to use it, can use it. If not, can do it manually.

An easy way to hose a system is, well, corrupting to the users' mind
;) but everyone should get enough rope to hang him-/herself...

Cheers,
Flo