Re: Kernel image

Hello Pedro!

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 05:32:44PM +0000, Pedro M. wrote:
> Florian Ernst escribió:
> >On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 12:04:34PM +0000, Pedro M. wrote:
> >>I suggest create the module kernel-image.last
> >>
> >>To upgrade the kernel to the last version.
> >>
> >>In apt-get install -kernel last
> >
> >|$ apt-cache show kernel-image-2.4-386
> >|[...]
> >| This package will always depend on the latest 2.4 kernel image available
> >| for 386.
> >
> >...and similar other packages.
> >
> A looooooooooooottttttttttt of packages. I suggest offer one simple,
> easy to remember and to type way.

|fernst@live:~$ apt-cache search kernel-image-2.4- | wc -l
|7

Not that much, at least in my eyes. YMMV.

> >>the apt-get would install the last kernel image for the default system
> >>architecture (i.e. I would detect if it's a i386X architecture and would
> >>download the last kernel module for this architecture ).
> >
> >As the architecture of your box shouldn't change _that_ often some
> >manual work / scripting might be acceptable, thereafter one could
> >install one of the packages mentioned above.
> >
> Yes, but you cannot include a simple command in a tutorial or guide to
> do it....

Well, determine your 'architecture', meaning -386 / -586tsc / -686 /
-k6 / -k7 (possibly SMP) on IA32, you _should_ know better than any
script, install appropriate kernel-image, lean back.
If the user doesn't know this 'architecture', -386 (one size fits all)
ought to be enough, (s)he probably won't _notice_ any speed
differences at all.

It looks like you are suggesting kernel-image-dwimt (do what I mean
to). As I said, it should be possible / acceptable, but I see a huge
simplicity/danger-tradeoff.

> >>A stept forward in simplicity and easy of use.
> >
> >...and possibly dangerous:
> >What should be the 'latest' kernel? Automatic upgrade from 2.N.xx to
> >2.N+2.0 once this is available? Or even to 2.N+1.xx as this is
> >'latest'?
> >
> It would include the intermediate steps ( if user says nothing in an
> option).

So, looking back, Debian users would have installed 2.5.69(?),
possibly booted into it, possibly tried to do daily work, possibly
failed...? Or would have automatically installed 2.6.0-preX? The lists
are still full of people who have / had problems during the upgrade to
2.6.x...

Well, don't take me wrong, I'm not trying to stop you, but I
personally don't like the idea that much.
If a user still wants to risk shooting him-/herself in the foot, then
that's ok for me, but I wouldn't like to see Debian supporting this.
YMMV.

Cheers,
Flo

PS: This is a mailing list, please don't CC people unless they
specifically ask for it.