Re: Kernel image

Florian Ernst escribió:

Hello Pedro!

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 12:04:34PM +0000, Pedro M. wrote:
I suggest create the module kernel-image.last

To upgrade the kernel to the last version.

In apt-get install -kernel last

|$ apt-cache show kernel-image-2.4-386
|[...]
| This package will always depend on the latest 2.4 kernel image available
| for 386.

...and similar other packages.

A looooooooooooottttttttttt of packages. I suggest offer one simple, easy to remember and to type way.

the apt-get would install the last kernel image for the default system architecture (i.e. I would detect if it's a i386X architecture and would download the last kernel module for this architecture ).

As the architecture of your box shouldn't change _that_ often some
manual work / scripting might be acceptable, thereafter one could
install one of the packages mentioned above.

Yes, but you cannot include a simple command in a tutorial or guide to do it....

A stept forward in simplicity and easy of use.

...and possibly dangerous:
What should be the 'latest' kernel? Automatic upgrade from 2.N.xx to
2.N+2.0 once this is available? Or even to 2.N+1.xx as this is
'latest'?

It would include the intermediate steps ( if user says nothing in an option).

Regards.

Feel free.