Re: Kernel image

Florian Ernst escribió:

Hello Pedro!

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 05:32:44PM +0000, Pedro M. wrote:
Florian Ernst escribió:
On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 12:04:34PM +0000, Pedro M. wrote:
I suggest create the module kernel-image.last

To upgrade the kernel to the last version.

In apt-get install -kernel last
|$ apt-cache show kernel-image-2.4-386
|[...]
| This package will always depend on the latest 2.4 kernel image available
| for 386.

...and similar other packages.

A looooooooooooottttttttttt of packages. I suggest offer one simple, easy to remember and to type way.

|fernst@live:~$ apt-cache search kernel-image-2.4- | wc -l
|7

Not that much, at least in my eyes. YMMV.
try apt-cache search kernel-image* ;)

the apt-get would install the last kernel image for the default system architecture (i.e. I would detect if it's a i386X architecture and would download the last kernel module for this architecture ).
As the architecture of your box shouldn't change _that_ often some
manual work / scripting might be acceptable, thereafter one could
install one of the packages mentioned above.

Yes, but you cannot include a simple command in a tutorial or guide to do it....

Well, determine your 'architecture', meaning -386 / -586tsc / -686 /
-k6 / -k7 (possibly SMP) on IA32, you _should_ know better than any
script, install appropriate kernel-image, lean back.

We are talking about upgrading from an architecture to the same one, in a different kernel version.

And another thing : the user doesn't have to worry about this things and look for the porperly package (transparent installation).

If the user doesn't know this 'architecture', -386 (one size fits all)
ought to be enough, (s)he probably won't _notice_ any speed
differences at all.

Like said, in upgrading (not in installing in a virgin disk), the program would use the same architecture than the previous version installed.

It looks like you are suggesting kernel-image-dwimt (do what I mean
to).

I don't know this system. I am suggesting ->>>> kernel-image-lastversion-samearchitecture (by default; the user could change it, using options).

As I said, it should be possible / acceptable, but I see a huge
simplicity/danger-tradeoff.

The same danger than type it manually, with the advantage of use a easy to remember / reproduce command

If anybody wants to use it, can use it. If not, can do it manually.

Regards.