Re: Opinions on some Debian books?

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 05:05:51PM -0400, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> This past Sunday I was getting desperate for a good book on Debian in a
> hurry. I drove 60 miles to the nearest Barns and Nobles store and found one
> out of print book that I had already downloaded on the web. I found 6 real
> nice books on Fedora about 700 pages with cd's in each. The number one cd
> was no good at all. I am currently using the fedora book along with the
> downloaded Debian book and between the two am beginning to understand How to
> set up and run Debian.
>     My point is why would Barns and Noble not have Debian books . I
> complained to the manager and his answer was he didn't know why but he would
> find out and E-mail me. Nothing yet???
>     If this is standard practice for them it is not good PR for debian. If
> you go in a store and they don't have Debian books Fuss at'em
>                                                  Doug

Two points:
1) Look at http://www.debian.org/doc/
2) The competition at debian.org pretty much kills the dead tree book
market, IMHO.

And if you have a problem with interpretation of something in .../doc/, ask
on this list. Look particularly at Policy docs to get a feel for Debian self
image. These are people who 'sweat the details' so that when they use Debian,
they don't have to deal with stupid surprises.

Just a user.
Paul

--
Paul E Condon