Re: Creating pdf documents under woody

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:19:11AM +0100, Jonathan Schmitt wrote:

> >Ah yes, but how do you get PS from the formats that abiword can produce?
> >(abw, aw, awt, dbk, fo, html, xhtml, latex, rft, wlm; some obviously
> >proprietary formats dropped)
>
> You can almost always produce a ps file by printing to a file. Just use a

Yes of course! (hitting forehead with palm of hand).  I should have
thought of that.

BTW, this is the option that produces the best output.  All lists are
there, etc...  Totally acceptable quality.

> ps-capable printerdriver and "print" it into a file. That's one way.
> The other one is this:
> You take latex. By latex file.tex You get a dvi file. You take this dvi into
> kdvi (provided You're using kde) and export it to ps (or directly to pdf).

Thanks for all these tips.  This one didn't work.  Importing to kdvi
already shows some font anomaly in the lists.  Exporting to pdf directly
fails for lack of a "dvipdfm" program. Exporting to PS works, but when
trying to display the resulting file with xpdf, I get the same kind of
garbage I got from my original efforts.  However, there's a hint as to
what the problem is:

Error: This document uses Type 3 fonts - some text may not be correctly displayed

> There  should be (in theory) a dvi2ps and then ps2pdf but dvi2ps is not
> installed on my system and I've no idea, where to get it.

Same here: no dvi2ps.  Anyway, thanks again.  I now have a good pdf
document.  I'll see what OpenOffice can do in the future.  Now that I
have 1.1 installed...

A.