Creating pdf documents under woody

Hello all,

The quick version: what's the best way to create pdf documents under
woody (3.0 r2)?

What I've done, with no success...

First I looked at the various word processors and saw that none (that
I could find) had a pdf export facility, so based on the ease of use
and the fact that abiword gives me a WYSIWYG view for the not too
complex documents I need to write, and the fact that it can export to
latex (among many other formats), I imported what I had already written
with vi (what a pain! all that mouse fidgeting, especially on a laptop).

Converting a latex exported file to pdf via pdflatex should have been
simple, right?  Garbage output.

I then tried to compile the latest abiword (2.0.3) as there is
apparently no backport for woody: Dependency hell.

Tried to import the abw file info openoffice.org (1.0.3): "Read Error;
Error loading converter"

The same happens when trying to load the latex file.

Tried to import the abw file into lyx - it wouldn't take it.

Tried to import the latex file exported by abiword - lyx didn't
understand the \textcolor commands.  Even so, exported to pdf from
lyx: The same gargage output as above.

Imported the abw file into Kword.  Surprisingly it looked ok, the
format was preserved properly.  Alas, no pdf export here, so tried
to export to tex format.  Then ran pdftex: garbage.  Not as bad as
above, but the formatting was totally lost and there were weird numbers
interspersed in the text.

I'm starting to think that no matter how many other editors & converters
I try, I can't get there from here...  It's pretty surprising that none
of these newfangled word processors seem to be able to export to plain
postscript (or maybe I overlooked the one...)

Unfortunately, I *have to* produce pdf documents.  No choice there.
Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks!

A.