Re: knoppix/debian

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 17:45, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> Hello,
> an anyone tell me if is possible to use apt to upgrade to sarge from
> knoppix?
> Thanks.
> Gavin.

I am running 2.6.3-2 kernel, unstable. I started with a Knoppix HD-install.
Knoppix still does the boot-hardware-detection and sets up the desktop but
everything else is from unstable (sarge).

Change the Default-Release in /etc/apt/apt.conf to "testing" or
"unstable" ( "unstable" will be more consistant and even better behaved
according to recent posts here). Then do apt-get update.

Now you can do apt-get for upgrade and dist-upgrade.
Best to try first with -s option and read what it intends to do  because there
are some horror-stories around. If you think it's OK, go ahead without -s. If
it looks too threatening, pick and choose what to upgrade  or install.

Upgrading to a newer kernel is done using apt-get install kernel-image ......
All these kernel images use an initrd (something which I needed but never got
to work with the Knoppix kernel). So read up on that a little. The install
does it for you but you should set up /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf beforehand.

Another hint: The KDE KPackage utility is a nice GUI for apt-get and you get
to see a list of installed, to-be-upgraded and new packages. Aptitude is
another GUI utility you might find useful.