Re: knoppix/debian

Dr Gavin Seddon declaimed:
> Hello,
> an anyone tell me if is possible to use apt to upgrade to sarge from
> knoppix?
> Thanks.
> Gavin.

The following procedure worked for me when I downgraded from unstable to
testing about a year ago, you might want back up first :-) As I recall,
I was following advice from a post to this list. If anyone knows why
this is insane/dangerous, please speak up.

1. Add the appropriate source lines to your apt-configuration, comment
out anything else.

example: /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/sources.list

deb http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb-src http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

2. apt-get update

3. apt-get dist-upgrade

4. Repeat step 3 until you stop getting package errors. (it took me
about 4 runs.)

HTH, Paul
--
Paul Mackinney