broken package dependencies

I seem to have really broken a couple of packages and
I now I can't do anything with dselect/aptitude. None
of the dpkg commands, even using --force, is helping
me fix the problem packages. So, I'm looking for some
help on how to perform surgery on the package
database.

I compiled the 2.4.23 kernel and alsa, i2c and
lm-sensors using kernel-package to make .debs. Since
I'm now a couple of kernels further along, I selected
all of the packages for removal (purge actually)
during a dselect upgrade. The kernel and alsa were
removed, but i2c and lm-sensors were left in a broken
state. With these packages broken, I could no longer
use dselect or aptitude -- they kept getting hung up
on the problem packages.

I recomplied the 2.4.23 kernel, alsa, i2c and
lm-sensors and reinstalled them, thinking I might then
be able to remove them in the correct order. No go. I
have tried all of the various dpkg permutations I'm
aware of (from man page) to remove or otherwise
un-break these packages. Still a no go.

So, is there a way for me to directly manipulate the
package database to remove all traces of these
packages? Can I go into /var/lib/dpkg and edit certain
files so that at least dselect will no longer hang?
Thanks,

Richard