Re: Lightweight Alternative to Mozilla-Firebird

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:57:01 -0500
"S.D.A." <dallan@rogers.com> wrote:

> No it doesn't thread the processes. In other words one can't do anything
> while one is downloading e-mail. The application is locked, until that
> I/O finishes.

Ahh ok, in that case this situation has been resolved. I can receive email while viewing messages, replying, etc. with no dramas at all, unless you manually hit the "Get" or "Get All" buttons. If you let it retrieve mail in the background, there's no interference that I can see.

> Give it a month or two to evaluate properly. One (in my view) can't
> properly evaluate any application in a shorter period, unless some basic
> feature is missing, than perhaps one can.

Yes, most definitely. As you say, the only way you can reject an application immediately is if it is missing a core feature you use every time. If it's something you don't do often, then you don't notice until you get that far.

I have found one very niggly little "issue" so to speak. When migrating from Outlook Express, I exported my address book as a CSV file, however Sylpheed only imports LDIF formats. In my case, I only have 14 addresses anyway, so I'll just manually enter them, but for people with large address books this could be a problem.

I've seen via a Google search that there are scripts to convert these files though, so it may not be such an issue in the long run.

Pete