Re: [OT] Dual Athlon motherboards - recommendations?

hi ya pigeon

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Pigeon wrote:

> Anyone care to recommend me a dual Athlon motherboard? Requirements:
>
> - cheap :-)
> - DDR 266MHz min, 333MHz preferred
> - does *NOT* have an nVidia chipset
> - 5 (or more) PCI slots, ideally inc. one 64-bit slot

that is the problme ... 5 or more pci and 64bit slot... you're asking for
the needle in the haystack
	- why do you need 5 pci slots ??

> I've been googling for the past 2 hours and they seem rather thin on
> the ground; also online stores' search engines lack functionality,
> making it hard to find one or two dual-CPU boards among hundreds of
> single-CPU boards.

yup.... tooo many junk links from google
and i assume the same to hold for froogle ??

avoid all webstore links when looking for motherboards
with particular specs
	- find a store that give you all the links of all
	the mb they carry

	and similarly avoid links for mb reviews ...

and problem is sites like asus do not keep their urls straight
and the same to go back over the years to find new mb or old mb

links for tyan are usually good and for dual athlons..
your choices are tyan, supermicro, asus(though not many )

	== your best choice is tyan ..
	( thunder vs trinity vs tomcat is the next issue
	( take the tyan part# and try to find pricing and availability

	-- and if you find a site with dual-athlon for intel motherboards
	please post that link :-)

if you want "cheap"..
	gigabyte, dfi, ecs, abit, etc are cheaper but ...
	( not sure that they even make dual athlons mb )

dual cpu motherboard links...

	http://www.Linux-1U.net/MotherBoard/Manufacturers/

	http://www.tyan.com/products/products.html
	( thunder(expensive), tiger, trinity, tomcat

	-- shows tyan mb pricing .. once you know which mb
	http://www.shopblt.com/mfgs/TYAN.html

	-- good listing of tyan mb and pics
	http://www.orbitmicro.com/products/motherboards/tyan

c ya