Re: OT: Re: Emergency braking and bird anatomy [was: Re: DVD copying and CSS]

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 07:59:08PM +0000, stephen parkinson wrote:
> actually i think this used to be reccommended behaviour at traffic
> lights, but doesn't seem to be the norm now :-(
> to do this, it needs some cooperation from the on-coming stream of
> traffic, aka intelligence :-)

The guidelines for bicyclists are posted at your DMV.
For instance, in California:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs55thru57.htm#bike

For left turns at 4-way itersections, 2 lanes in each direction:
Bicyclist gets in center of left lane, goes in front of cars, goes to
back to right side of right lane after turn.

For straight ahead, bicyclist goes to left edge of right lane, and
crosses over lane through the intersection, back to the right edge
after.

In both cases, cyclist blocks car's traffic.

I used to wonder if the cops would give me a ticket for not obeying the
bicycle rules in heavy traffic.  Other day, I got my answer: I saw a
cop pull over a guy on a bike.  Fortunately I read the rules.

In my car I'm still unclear what to do in this situation:

---------------------         ---<CARS-------------------------
=====================         =================================
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXMe?   Me?XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
=====================         ==================================
                    "    |Me  "

When I'm waiting to turn left on a median, do I wait on the left edge or
the right edge?  Both are bad -- one way cars have to cross in front of
you, the other way you block visibility for people turning left to the
right of you.