Re: Emergency braking and bird anatomy [was: Re: DVD copying and CSS]

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 02:09:59PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 04:43:33PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> > That's a stupid advert. What it actually demonstrates is that the
> > driver in the advert doesn't know how to brake in an emergency
> > situation - the car slides to a halt with its front wheels locked. If
> > the driver had avoided locking the wheels the car would have stopped
> > in time.
>
> On the other hand, look how many people drive?  Too many people fail
> to pump disc brakes and do pump antilocks.

Yeah, I know... same here, despite the fact that an emergency stop is
part of the UK driving test and locking the wheels is a fail.

> Or they drive a 4WD and
> don't realize that anti-lock brakes operate as disc brakes except when
> in 2WD.

Don't get me started on 4WD drivers :-)

> It's disappointing that it's simply not feasable to test
> people on what's in their car's owner's manual.

The UK test does at least nod in that direction these days, though.

> > It also demonstrates that you shouldn't run out into the road without
> > looking, and that parents whose kids lack road sense should keep them
> > under control near roads.
>
> This applies to trains as well, including narrow-track trains.  Just
> because the tracks are (like many tourist and park railroads in the
> US) 2'6" instead of 4'8.5" apart only means that 10 cars and an engine
> weigh 300 tons instead of 900 tons or so, and still won't stop fast at
> any speed.  And I can safely say firsthand that engineers don't like
> stopping two feet short of the 5-year-old you tried dragging against
> the signal across the tracks, who locked up staring into headlights
> anymore than you like watching it; you feel pretty sick for a couple
> days afterwards from the scare of nearly hitting someone you can't
> dodge.  The flashing lights and bells apply to you even if you're
> walking, folks.
> </rant>

Argh, yes, I remember you told me about that... It amazes me somewhat
that UK steam lines have such a good safety record, given the number
of people who wander about in places they shouldn't.

> > The reason for having such a massive muscle is clearly shown by the
> > beautiful slow-motion shot of a pigeon, in the foreground, taking
> > off almost vertically, and generating thrust on the upstroke as well
> > as on the downstroke.
>
> Locally, the pigeons with any sense of urgency tend to use them to
> outrun light rail trains when the trains sneak up on them, flying only
> centimeters off the ground.  Given they tend to do this near the light
> rail stations most, I'm surprised there's not more pedestrian/pigeon
> collisions.

Pigeons - and birds in general - seem to be very good at avoiding
collisions, except in the case where their ability to outfly almost
any animal leads them to think they can outfly a speeding vehicle. Not
always, though... one of my mates, walking down the street in a
daydream, managed to swing his foot into an equally dozy pigeon, and
propelled it into a girl's backside... she couldn't work out who had
patted her rear.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons