OT: Re: Emergency braking and bird anatomy [was: Re: DVD copying and CSS]

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Pigeon wrote:

> It's a long time since I took my car test, and I had no problems with
> the emergency stop, but the examiner's instructions were "...without
> locking the wheels", so I'd guess any kind of lock would be a fail.
> Dunno what they do now that ABS is common.

Does sound like your driving tests are much better than ours.  I still
don't understand how anyone can actually _fail_ one over here, but people
occasionally do.

> To be expected. Most ABSes cut out at very low speeds.

The Chevy Cavaliers of around 2001-2002 were the other way, and hyper
sensitive.  I've seen the ABS come on at 5kph at the end of a stop,
completely removing any braking power, causing you to not be able to stop
in time.  And those can't be disabled, unlike most cars with traction
control.  I'd consider it a safety hazard.  The 2003 LS we have here
doesn't seem to do it, or not as bad.

> ...so you can still powerslide round roundabouts :-)

What, roundabout's aren't skidpads?  That's not how Car & Driver does
that? :)

Actually, there's no roundabouts in my part of the country.  I suspect
there's not many roundabouts IN my country. :)