Re: Emergency braking and bird anatomy [was: Re: DVD copying and CSS]

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:48:12AM -0500, Mike Dresser wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Pigeon wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I know... same here, despite the fact that an emergency stop is
> > part of the UK driving test and locking the wheels is a fail.
>
> How much of a lock is a lock?

It's a long time since I took my car test, and I had no problems with
the emergency stop, but the examiner's instructions were "...without
locking the wheels", so I'd guess any kind of lock would be a fail.
Dunno what they do now that ABS is common.

With the motorcycle test, the instructions are to stop the bike "under
control", and without hitting the examiner who has just jumped out in
front of you. It seems that a minor lockup is permitted as long as you
counteract it and keep the bike under control.

> My car has ABS, but in extreme situtations
> you can get it to slide a couple feet on dry pavement, and usually only at
> the very end of the stop.

To be expected. Most ABSes cut out at very low speeds.

> Then again, the traction control doesn't work worth a damn either :)

...so you can still powerslide round roundabouts :-)

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons