Re:CDs under 2.6*, complete instructions

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 16:22,
> > What goes into lilo (even if CDs are not boot devices here)?
> > What gets changed for K3B and others of it ilk?
>
> If your versions of cdrdao or cdrtools is recent enough, k3b should work
> without problems. If the programs are not suid root, change ownership
> for the ide device files for the cdroms (/not/ the hard disks) to
> root.cdrom.

K3B did work though it did not "acknowldege having worked. Maybe I should try
a regular CDR and see.

> > Load ide-cd in place of ide-scsi?
>
> The ide-scsi driver did not work for me with k3b. ide-cd seems to be a
> better choice here.

The ide-scsi is what indeed worked. Deprecated but still in there. How does
one make the switch.

> > Interesting aside: Since, as long as one might keep an older kernel
> > around, there will be two somewhat different /etc/modules sets. Is
> > there a way of placing conditionals in this file or in the script that
> > uses it to use different modules?
>
> You could use alias-Entries like this (from my /etc/modprobe.d/aliases)
>
> alias usb-uhci uhci-hcd
>
> This way usb-uhci in /etc/modules will work with both kernels, even if
> the driver is called uhci-hcd in 2.6.

Great. If only that uhic-hcd module would unload correctly! Any idea of how to
fix or just wait for the next kernel?