ntp won't work

I am running woody with a stable/testing mix.  I installed ntp using:
 apt-get install ntp-simple ntpdate
I configured three servers from the ntp public server website here is an
excerpt from my /etc/ntp.conf:
server 209.81.9.7
server 136.159.2.254
server 128.233.3.101

when I run ntpdate I get this
#ntpdate
24 Feb 12:19:21 ntpdate[14759]: no servers can be used, exiting

when I run ntptimeset i get this:
# ntptimeset
No response from any of 4 servers, network problem?
No servers available to sync time with

I get no logs at all.  What would the problem be?  Do I need to open some
port or something?  I would think I would just act as a client and would
thus need no hole opened in my firewall.
-thanks ryan