Re: ntp won't work

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:21:25PM -0800, developer@wexwarez.com wrote:
> I am running woody with a stable/testing mix.  I installed ntp using:
>  apt-get install ntp-simple ntpdate
> I configured three servers from the ntp public server website here is an
> excerpt from my /etc/ntp.conf:
> server 209.81.9.7
> server 136.159.2.254
> server 128.233.3.101
>
> when I run ntpdate I get this
> #ntpdate
> 24 Feb 12:19:21 ntpdate[14759]: no servers can be used, exiting
>
> when I run ntptimeset i get this:
> # ntptimeset
> No response from any of 4 servers, network problem?
> No servers available to sync time with
>
> I get no logs at all.  What would the problem be?  Do I need to open some
> port or something?  I would think I would just act as a client and would
> thus need no hole opened in my firewall.

Correct, you don't need to mess with your firewall.

As I understand the man page for ntpdate it doesn't use /etc/ntp.conf.
You have to pass it the server addresses as command line arguments, or
specify a file from which it can read them by means of the -s
parameter. So "ntpdate -s /etc/ntp.conf" ought to work.

Dunno about ntptimeset, never used it. Perhaps
"ntptimeset -c /etc/ntp.conf".

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons