Re: DVD copying and CSS

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 09:19:46PM -0800, Vineet Kumar wrote:
[snip]
> movies on our computers.  If they make it illegal for us to watch them,
> why would we buy them?  It just doesn't add up.  ...But it probably does
> add up for Congress.  Of course, in that case, what's adding up is the
> Hollywood lobbyists' "donations" in their pockets...

Well, crap, I'll be the first one to come out and admit that I pirate
stuff.  If I want it, I'll do it.  Just like if I want to smoke pot, I
do it (although I haven't touched it period in 6 years, except for 2
trips to Amsterdam and at two concerts).  Similarly, with piracy, if I
want to do it, I do it -- but I don't do it wholesale, I don't make
money off it, I don't encourage any 13 year olds to do it (cough
Napster cough).

I'm a grown adult who in various small ways makes a conscious choice to
violate certain laws, in a non-harmful way.  This occurs at many levels
in society (5 miles over the speed limit).  The distinction is: DO YOU
HARM ANYBODY.

Dig?