Re: Emergency braking and bird anatomy [was: Re: DVD copying and CSS]

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:29:39PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 07:39:13PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> > It's a long time since I took my car test, and I had no problems with
> > the emergency stop, but the examiner's instructions were "...without
> > locking the wheels", so I'd guess any kind of lock would be a fail.
> > Dunno what they do now that ABS is common.
>
> When I was learning to drive, I locked the brakes on my truck (at the
> time, it was my mom's truck).  Only time I have ever seen the ABS
> light come on except when I'm starting the truck, too.  I'll be damned
> if I could reproduce that.
>
> > With the motorcycle test, the instructions are to stop the bike "under
> > control", and without hitting the examiner who has just jumped out in
> > front of you. It seems that a minor lockup is permitted as long as you
> > counteract it and keep the bike under control.
>
> What I never understood is locally they tell bicyclists that you stop
> faster locking the brakes and everybody else to absolutely avoid doing

Its actually wrong also for bicycles. If you skid it takes a much
longer time to stop.
Another thing a lot of casual cyclists don't know is that you actually
should stop mostly with the front brake (which is much much more
effective).
You just need to make sure to hold yourself in place with your hands
not to go over the handlebar. You do that and you won't flip.