Re: SSH: does it require portmapper and what hostname is it looking for?

On 2004-02-20, Anthony Campbell penned:

> My /etc/hosts is as follows, in case this indicates the problem:
> (The alternative lines are because I tried both the IP which my domain
> name resolves to and also the ip on my router. I don't know which, if
> either, I need.)
>
> --------cut------------------
> 127.0.0.1 localhost loopback
> # 194.176.77.5 acampbell.org.uk arcadia
> 192.168.0.20  acampbell.org.uk arcadia
> 0.0.0.0 accampbell.uklinux.net
>
> 10.0.0.1   arcadia
> 10.0.0.2   mimosas
>
> -------cut-------------

1) It looks like you're mixing internal network numbers here.  192.168.0.20
for arcadia, then later 10.0.0.1 for arcadia and .2 for mimosas ... I'm
fairly sure that this is not what you want.

Is there a web interface to your router?  Mine lets me set the LAN IP
address.  Does yours, and if so, does it say 192.168.0.something or
10.0.0.something?

It might also be enlightening for you to share your
/etc/network/interfaces ... specifically, the "gateway" value for your
network device should be the same as the router's IP address.  At least,
if you want outbound traffic, it should be.

2) What's that 0.0.0.0 entry for?  I don't have any such entries on my
machine, and I'm not sure it's what you want.

3) You probably don't need to specify the external address (194.etc) in
the hosts file.  In fact, it's a little misleading, as from outside your
router, all of your machines look like that address.  All the hosts file
does is give your machine a cheat-sheet for the names of some
commonly-used hosts.  If you frequently wanted to connect to a machine
that's outside the router (say, work or home) and wanted it to have a
nice, easy-to-remember name, then you might list an external IP address
for it.

--
monique