Re: SSH: does it require portmapper and what hostname is it looking for?

On 20 Feb 2004, Shaul Karl wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 09:48:55AM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >
> > which I seem to remember, from a previous abortive attempt to set up
> > plip, was the way to go, but no luck. I also tried putting in the IP
> > addresses from the router; I could then ping one of them but not telnet
> > to it.
> >

>   If you are trying to ssh 10.0.0.1 from 10.0.0.2 you might try the
> following line in /etc/hosts.allow of 10.0.0.1:
>
>     sshd: 10.0.0.2
>
>   Is there a firewall on 10.0.0.1?

I do have a firewall on both but I turned it off without achieving
anything. Something must  be badly misconfigured because although I can
ping mimosa and arcadia on their respective computers I cannot ping
either 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.2 on either machine.

My /etc/hosts is as follows, in case this indicates the problem:
(The alternative lines are because I tried both the IP which my domain
name resolves to and also the ip on my router. I don't know which, if
either, I need.)

--------cut------------------
127.0.0.1 localhost loopback
# 194.176.77.5 acampbell.org.uk arcadia
192.168.0.20  acampbell.org.uk arcadia
0.0.0.0 accampbell.uklinux.net

10.0.0.1   arcadia
10.0.0.2   mimosas

# (added automatically by netbase upgrade)

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic