Re: SSH: does it require portmapper and what hostname is it looking for?

On 19 Feb 2004, Jack Carroll wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:24:44AM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> > On 2004-02-18, Anthony Campbell penned:
> > > I'm trying to run ssh between two computers but I get:
> > >
> > > 	"connect to host port 22: Connection refused."
> > >
> > > I have portmapper turned off for security, but is it essential for
> > > ssh?
> >
> > I don't know about this one, but I don't think so?
> >
> > > Also, what is the hostname I have to supply? The FQDN seems to be
> > > acampbell.org.uk but this is the same for both computers, which
> > > doesn't seem to be right.
> >
> > Two machines should not resolve to the same FQDN.
> >
> > --
> > monique
> >

> > --
> >

> 	SSH doesn't require portmap.  It uses a fixed well-known port.  You
> might not have sshd running on the destination machine.  You could use
> 		ps ax
> to find out.

It wasn't running but now it is. However, I still don't seem to get
anywhere.

>If it's running, and the machines can ping each other, the
> next thing to try is
> 		telnet destination ssh

This is where the problem arises. I can't ping the other machine nor can
I telnet it (in fact, I can't even telnet to myself; I get "connection
refused".)

What would the "destination" be? I have two machines, mimosas and
arcadia, both connected to the router.

I tried putting this in /etc/hosts:

10.0.0.1    arcadia
10.0.0.2    mimosas

which I seem to remember, from a previous abortive attempt to set up
plip, was the way to go, but no luck. I also tried putting in the IP
addresses from the router; I could then ping one of them but not telnet
to it.

Anthony