Re: SSH: does it require portmapper and what hostname is it looking for?

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:24:44AM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On 2004-02-18, Anthony Campbell penned:
> > I'm trying to run ssh between two computers but I get:
> >
> > 	"connect to host port 22: Connection refused."
> >
> > I have portmapper turned off for security, but is it essential for
> > ssh?
>
> I don't know about this one, but I don't think so?
>
> > Also, what is the hostname I have to supply? The FQDN seems to be
> > acampbell.org.uk but this is the same for both computers, which
> > doesn't seem to be right.
>
> Two machines should not resolve to the same FQDN.
>
> --
> monique
>

> --

	SSH doesn't require portmap.  It uses a fixed well-known port.  You
might not have sshd running on the destination machine.  You could use
		ps ax
to find out.  If it's running, and the machines can ping each other, the
next thing to try is
		telnet destination ssh

	If a server answers, then you're reaching it, so the next place to
look for the answer is in the sshd config file.  That's
/etc/ssh/sshd_config.  There's some on-system documentation, and a
comprehensive book published by O'Reilly.