Unable to mount cdroms in linux 2.6.3

Hello,

Today I tried the new linux 2.6.3 on my Debian Sarge computer :)
Everything seems to be ok, with one exception -- linux 2.6 doesn't do SCSI emulation anymore - and I was using SCSI emulation to get CD writing to work; I read [1] cdrecord was fixed so it doesn't need it anymore so it shouldn't be a problem;

However, I must have forgotton something in my attempt to disable the SCSI emulation stuff...

jorishuizer@debian:/dev$ mount /cdrom
mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
jorishuizer@debian:/dev$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11 Feb 20 10:10 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/cdrom0
jorishuizer@debian:/dev$ ls -l /dev/cdrom0
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 8 Feb 20 10:10 /dev/cdrom0 -> /dev/hdc
jorishuizer@debian:/dev$ ls -l /dev/hdc
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,   0 Apr 15  2001 /dev/hdc

The /etc/fstab line for the cdrom is:
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

Can anybody tell me how to make the cdrom work again /without/ SCSI emulation in place?

Thank you for any help,

Joris

[1] http://programming.linux.com/programming/03/12/09/1341236.shtml?tid=40&tid=91