Re: OT? perl IDE

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 11:42, David Turner wrote:
> Hi guru's,
>
> Hopefully this is not too far OT to get my arse flamed.
>
> I was wondering what people develop perl in using linux. I am running
> KDE 3.1 on 2.6.0, and have come from a windoze background, where I use
> open perl IDE. I like the ability to step through code a line at a time.
>
> I am hoping there is something similiar; that is relatively simple so i
> can concentrate on learning perl, rather than having to learn emacs or
> some other complicated text editor. Is there a generic linux IDE?  This
> is for home use, so i wont be able to spend any money on a comercial
> package. (eg komodo)

I think that Eclipse has a Perl plug-in, but I'm not sure. You can
check. (www.eclipse.org)

I would, however, strongly suggest learning emacs and vi at least enough
to be able to edit a few letters for future reference.

If you're going to be doing any worthwhile Perl coding, I cannot
recommend enough that you learn to use emacs and start using the cperl
mode. cperl is easily the BEST programming mode out of any language I've
dealt with so far. I code in Perl for a living and you'll have to pry my
emacs + cperl-mode from my cold, dead hands. :)

Besides, learning emacs really isn't all that hard. :) All you really
have to learn for quick usage is save (Ctrl-x Ctrl-s), exit (Ctrl-x,
Ctrl-c), beginning of line (Ctrl-a) and end of line (Ctrl-e). Everything
else is certainly handy to learn at your own pace, but if you can get
those 4 down, you're pretty much ready to start coding. I'd strongly
suggest it.
--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837