Re: OT? perl IDE

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 12:42, David Turner wrote:

> I was wondering what people develop perl in using linux. I am running
> KDE 3.1 on 2.6.0, and have come from a windoze background, where I use
> open perl IDE. I like the ability to step through code a line at a time.

IANAPHOEU (I am not a perl hacker or emacs user) but I just loaded a
perl script in xemacs, it gave me a Perl menu which includes a
"Debugger" item. After clicking it, I had to change the command line to
perl -d /perl/filename.pl but once I did that I was able to press 's' to
step through each line of code. It also automatically switched to a
split pane view showing the debugger and the source file (with an arrow
indicating which line in the code was being executed)

> I am hoping there is something similiar; that is relatively simple so i
> can concentrate on learning perl, rather than having to learn emacs or
> some other complicated text editor. Is there a generic linux IDE?  This
> is for home use, so i wont be able to spend any money on a comercial
> package. (eg komodo)

I am guessing that emacs/vim are the generic linux ide's. I personally
use vim, and rarely do much programming that can't be debugged with
psuedo-unit testing (when doing python) or testing + gdb (when doing C)
so my "i"de is a collection of xterms. (though I'll confess that recent
generations of gedit+syntax highlighting have been pulling me in more
and more)

One thing you might want to consider is that vi/emacs have been around
for a looong time, so there is probably something there that's worth the
learning curve... for more help though, you might want to specify which
other features you're looking for.

-Mark