CPU-intensive periodic processes, e.g. xscreensaver-gl

I've overclocked my 3.2Ghz to 3.68Ghz with proper but extremely loud CPU
fan. [1].  My goal is to lever let my heatsink temp. exceed 53
celsius [2].

It idles at 36C.  Ordinary load generates temps in the low 40s: disk and
network load -> not much, bzipping tar etc. -> relatively more.  Heavy
load (kernel compiles and OpenGL) generates the real heat.

Long story short: Fan very loud -> heavy load @ 50C, fan reasonably loud
-> heavy load @ 52C, fan quite quiet -> heavy load @ 54C-55C.  Low
temps can be maintained equally at all these volume levels [3].
I can sleep near a quiet PC and be confident that it will never go above
the mid-40s as long as heavy loads aren't unexpectedly generated.

xscreensaver-gl is the first to go.  I really need to know: what sorts
of tasks could "just run by themselves" that would likely lead to heavy
CPU loads?  (aside from the obvious like seti@home)

The tantalzing aspect is the difference between "very quiet" and
"reasonably quiet" : both do typical "just sit there" tasks cool,
but the tradeoff is equalling vs. slightly exceeding a "safety margin"
vs. a noticeable decrease in sound.

[1] 230 mhz bus, 14% increase.  Kernel compile time went from 6:11 to
5:20, a 14% increase.  It's worth the trouble.  I've done extensive
burn-in testing: it's stable at 3.76 (235 mhz) in Windows but Linux will
either (1) kernel panic at 1.75 volts or (2) issue thermal_interrupts at
1.775 volts.  I have been very dilligent and done *a lot* of testing, so
I believe I've done it safely.  I intend to switch to water-cooling to
get it to 4Ghz if I can find a company who will install it for me, and
I've done sufficient research to feel comfortable about that: it's easy
for the coolant to leak.

[2] 53C will be reported on the heatsink edge when 61C is reported by
the CPU core to the bios.  The difference is less at lower temps.
The system is rated to 69C: 60C is the default alarm level for Asus's
Windows utilities.

[3] But not turned down all the way (1300 RPMs): it will then idle *very
hot* e.g. 56C.  3000-4000 RPMs is pretty quiet.