Re: CPU-intensive periodic processes, e.g. xscreensaver-gl

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 04:11, Nano Nano wrote:
> I've overclocked my 3.2Ghz to 3.68Ghz with proper but extremely loud CPU
> fan. [1].  My goal is to lever let my heatsink temp. exceed 53
> celsius [2].

Cool.

> [1] 230 mhz bus, 14% increase.  Kernel compile time went from 6:11 to
> 5:20, a 14% increase.  It's worth the trouble.  I've done extensive
> burn-in testing: it's stable at 3.76 (235 mhz) in Windows but Linux will
> either (1) kernel panic at 1.75 volts or (2) issue thermal_interrupts at
> 1.775 volts.  I have been very dilligent and done *a lot* of testing, so
> I believe I've done it safely.  I intend to switch to water-cooling to
> get it to 4Ghz if I can find a company who will install it for me, and
> I've done sufficient research to feel comfortable about that: it's easy
> for the coolant to leak.
>
> [2] 53C will be reported on the heatsink edge when 61C is reported by
> the CPU core to the bios.  The difference is less at lower temps.
> The system is rated to 69C: 60C is the default alarm level for Asus's
> Windows utilities.
>
> [3] But not turned down all the way (1300 RPMs): it will then idle *very
> hot* e.g. 56C.  3000-4000 RPMs is pretty quiet.

Or you can do like I have done... Get a 120MM Thermistor controlled
variable speed fan. I have one (from an Industrial Controls dealer) that
works well. I just had to fabricate a good mount for the extra weight of
the fan and a good duct to funnel all the air from the 120mm fan onto
the 60mm mounting location.

At this point, the Northbridge Fan is louder than the CPU fan even at
HIGH LOADS. Not to mention the Video card Fan. I am going to change
those to thermally controlled fans soon (probably larger ones as well)
and I also have a gang of four fans in the front of the case and 2 fans
in the back of the case. I also have replaced the fans in the Power
Supply to be thermally controlled as well. Even with 1 - 120mm and 8 -
80mm fans blowing... the Northbridge and Video card fans are the ones I
hear.

You can get the 80mm fans from Newegg.com by Cooler Master for $6 each
if you order 10 and get free shipping that way too.

I have a big breeze coming out of my current rig... but with very little
fan noise.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup