Re: CPU-intensive periodic processes, e.g. xscreensaver-gl

On Die, 2004-02-17 at 10:11, Nano Nano wrote:
> I've overclocked my 3.2Ghz to 3.68Ghz with proper but extremely loud CPU
> fan. [1].  My goal is to lever let my heatsink temp. exceed 53
> celsius [2].
[...]
> I can sleep near a quiet PC and be confident that it will never go above
> the mid-40s as long as heavy loads aren't unexpectedly generated.

As for 'unexpected' tasks, look at /etc/cron.* (daily, monthly, etc).

Alternative solutions:
As I understand it, you sleep almost on top of the machine and want it
to keep running 24/7. Why you want to do this is none of my business,
but apparently you won't do much number-crunching.

Plan A: the return of the Turbo switch -- I don't know if this works on
modern hardware, but if you've got jumpers for the system clock, it may
be an option to connect them to a switch on the case front.
>From my experience, this won't fry any chips. At worst, the system
hangs.

Plan B: get a 'dedicated server' -- as CPU load doesn't seem to be an
issue, any old box will do. Many modern heatsinks still fit on a
socket7, I've got a P133 running without fan that way.
This will likely draw more costs, however, for more RAM and a big
heatsink and network and whatnot, and might lead you into trouble when
you want a newer (big and silent) disk.
When I was satisfied with my old Pentium box, I had spent enough money
that I could have picked one of these VIA Epia boards right from the
start.

cu,
Schnobs