Re: cdparanoia & a song in negative space

lish --

...and then i'll teach you to turn away. said...
% David T-G <davidtg-debian@justpickone.org> wrote:
% DTG> collection comes to about 4700 tracks from a few over 600 CDs, but unl
% DTG> in my naughty days of 15k tracks, these are all legal :-)  Please at
% DTG> least summarize here on debian-user.
% 	the only non-"legal" mp3s i keep are the tracks so rare i CAN'T

Same here now.  Ripping a favorite quote from a movie (eg "It's a
chloroform-deploying portable enticement snare" :-) might be debatable,
but there are only a handful of those.

% buy the cd. if the RIAA wants on me for that, they'd better start
% reprinting long-recalled & limited edition discs.

Agreed :-)

% 	but i've been wondering: if you own a cassette, is it legal to
% download the tracks from it in mp3? is it the music, or the quality of the
% music/ease of playing it?

*I* believe that letting someone else do the work, even from some other
media, is no different from ripping it from cassette yourself.  The RIAA,
I'm sure, would probably say that I mayn't rip it from cassette or CD or
anything else anyway, so it's probably moot.

% DTG> % (digitally - i can always record it to cassette & take that to .wav,
% DTG> Why would you go through a cassette instead of directly into your laptop
% DTG> audio?(!??)
% 	well, because my laptop is a win98 machine i use maybe twice a

Sorry; I basically only have laptops, so you can generally s/laptop/box/
for anything I say :-)

% year. but you're right, i could record it straight from cd into the box;

OK.  That's definitely what I would do.

% i'm not sure why i thought the extra cassette step would be necessary. i
% suppose because that's how i did it the last time i recorded a track
% manually... which was in 1996.

That could be part of the reason :-)

% 	i'll keep everyone informed if i find a way.

% lish
% crank@got.net

(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) davidtgwork@justpickone.org  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"