Software RAID on a single partition?

Say I've got the following files:

* Some small files that I want to keep safe, eg. document backups, databases, etc. * Some big files that I don't care much about losing but need to read quickly, eg. video

Can I use software RAID-1 (mirroring) on a partition containing the first type of files and RAID-0 (striping) on the other partition?

The Software-RAID-HOWTO kind-of implies that you can do this by specifying a partition number in the |/etc/raidtab file, but the description refers to "devices" throughout, not "partitions".|

Cheers,

Jon