Re: Knoppix is Not Debian

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:15:38AM -0600, Lance Simmons wrote:
> When an old laptop falls into your hands, and you don't have any
> documentation on it, it's easier to use Knoppix and then upgrade to
> Debian than it is to do the work needed to install Debian directly.  So
> long as the end result is the same (a Debian unstable box), easier is
> better.

Except it's NOT necessarily easier.  Lusers all over promote Knoppix as a
way to get Debian installed.  So cluebies use it, and then they've been
told to upgrade it, so they do.

And *if* it works, now we have another cluebie walking the minefield that
is unstable who has *no* business doing so.  And if it doesn't...

Just last night... a cluebie was in #debian who had done what you propose,
and had run into the fact that you can't upgrade from Knoppix's sysvinit
package to the one in unstable.  You have to intervene manually.  That's
not a big deal to ME, that's not a big deal to YOU, but to HIM, it's
overwhelming.

And he still ends up on unstable when he's done.  Let's see... what was the
last breakage in unstable?  Oh, yeah... *tar*.  Gee, if tar is b0rken, it's
a little hard to install any other deb, now isn't it?  We really want a
cluebie dealing with that.  And before you get off on a meaningless
tangent, yes I know that the current fun with tar refers to CREATING
tarballs, but it could just as easily be undoing them.

Feh.  While it may well work for you, who has clue, anyone who suggests to
a cluebie that using Knoppix is a way to get Debian should be shot.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Where do you go to get anorexia?  -- Shelley Winters
 msw@cox.net |