recommended reading?

Hi folks

OK - I admit it. I've been working with computers for over 20 years (IBM
mainframe, mini, micro(or PC as they are called, now), WinNT networks etc.
and an Amiga developer (not using C) - but this damn Linux business is
driving me nuts. First time I've used an OS that you (literally) have to
build yourself, and has so many quirks it's untrue.

So - in a bid to not flood this list with questions, I'm prepared to go out
there and try to become an expert myself, but despite my love of technology
and computers, I'm still something of a traditionalist when it comes to
reading - ie - I like paper.

What would people recommend I start with (assume I'm a complete novice) that
will guide me through the basics of Linux (and more specifically, debian)
that I can get without trawling the web and spending several pound on printer
ink and paper to get (and if my local library can get hold of it - even
better).

You never know - I may be another expert in the making.

Thanks for listening :o)

Steve