Re: recommended reading?

>From Steve Hargreaves on Sunday, 2004-02-08 at 02:54:53 +0000:
> Hi folks
>
> OK - I admit it. I've been working with computers for over 20 years (IBM
> mainframe, mini, micro(or PC as they are called, now), WinNT networks etc.
> and an Amiga developer (not using C) - but this damn Linux business is
> driving me nuts. First time I've used an OS that you (literally) have to
> build yourself, and has so many quirks it's untrue.

You have my sympathies!

> So - in a bid to not flood this list with questions, I'm prepared to go out
> there and try to become an expert myself, but despite my love of technology
> and computers, I'm still something of a traditionalist when it comes to
> reading - ie - I like paper.

One of the best books available, both on the web and in print is
Paul Sheer's "Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition":

http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html

The level may be a little high for a beginner, but you already
have a lot of computer experience, and Paul Sheer used his book
(among other things) as a teaching tool for former Windows
systems administrators.

Conrad