Re: recommended reading?

I'm sure someone will want to flame me for such a bold statement...
Of all of the books I've ever bought on linux, the

Linux Administration Handbook
Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, Trent R Hein

is the only one that was worth the paper it was written on.  Everything
else was about 1/4 to 1/3 on installation.  My copy of this is worn and
I usually find what I need.  Not necessarily a beginner book, but
definitely the book you want on top of your monitor.

There are probably a few others out there that are ok, I'll be watching
with interest, but the beginning books frankly suck and the non-beginner
books often aren't much better.  Like science-fiction, diet books and
new age music, linux sells.  There are hardcore devotees and few
writers, I think anyone who wants to write a linux book can get
published.  I personally liked that series that was almost all
pictures, always good for a laugh.

As far as beginner stuff goes, the coolest thing you can do for yourself
right now is find one of the short online bash tutorials and learn how
to use command line in Linux, then learn a command line editor like vi
(type vimtutor for a crash course), though nano and mcedit are great for
beginners.  I'm not sure that there really is anything else thats
'beginner' level.  The linux ieberg is rather flat, there is
unfortunately not much of a tip.  get comfortable with comand line
though, that will make all of your tasks less frustrating.  Try learning
to use vi and links or lynx (web browser) and bitchx (irc) and mutt
(mail).  If you get comfortable with the command line all will be
smooth.  lots of stuff still needs to be configged that way, so make
yourself at home.  Of course you sound like you came fromt hat
environemen as did I (TRS-80 model 1), but you get out of practice
quick.

Good luck,
Brian